REDCap: Data Management and Survey Tool
The following Harvard-affiliated institutions have adopted REDCap. If you’re from an institution outside Harvard, please contact REDCap directly.
REDCap is a free, secure, web-based application designed to support data capture for research studies. The system was developed by a multi-institutional consortium initiated at Vanderbilt University. Data collection is customized for each study or clinical trial by the research team with guidance from Harvard Catalyst EDC Support Staff. REDCap is designed to comply with HIPAA regulations. REDCap is not 21 CFR Part 11 compliant.
Using REDCap’s stream-lined process for rapidly developing projects, you may create and design databases and surveys using:
- Online Designer and/or
- Offline method of constructing a “data dictionary” file in Microsoft Excel and uploading it to REDCap
REDCap provides user-friendly web-based case report forms, real-time data entry validation (e.g. for data types and range checks), audit trails, and the ability to set up a calendar to schedule and track critical study events such as blood-draws, participant visits, etc. Also, designated users can assign different levels of access for each member of the research team.
REDCap also provides a powerful tool for creating and managing surveys in your web browser. Collect anonymous responses or track and identify responses from survey participants by:
- sending a link to your survey via email
- entering data manually, and/or
- posting a link on your website
For more information, visit: http://project-redcap.org/
Advantages of REDCap:
- Secure and web-based. Input data from anywhere in the world with secure web authentication, data logging, and Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption.
- Fast and flexible. Conception to production-level database in less than one day.
- Multisite access. Projects can be used by researchers from multiple sites and institutions.
- Fully customizable. You are in total control of shaping your database or survey.
- Advanced question features. Auto-validation, branching logic, and stop actions.
- Mid-study modifications. You may modify the database or survey at any time during the study.
- Data import functions. Data may be imported from external data sources to begin a study or to provide mid-study data uploads.
- Data comparison functions. Double data entry / Blinded data entry.
- Export survey results to common data analysis packages. Export your data to Microsoft Excel, SAS, STATA, R, or SPSS for analysis.
- Save your survey or forms as PDFs. Generate a PDF version for printing in order to collect responses offline.