- Understand the most commonly used approaches in medical statistics
- Choose an appropriate analysis
- Implement these techniques in statistical software
- Assess the statistical methods chosen in a paper
This online professional certificate program offers a comprehensive introduction to biostatistics in medical research. The program includes a review of the most common techniques in the field, as well as the manner in which these techniques are applied in standard statistical software. Weekly lectures are combined with learning assessments and practicum exercises to support and engage participants. Optional discussion boards, office hours, and journal club sessions are available for those who wish to engage further with colleagues and faculty.
By the conclusion of the program, participants will be able to:
- Choose an appropriate statistical analysis plan
- Calculate the sample size needed to complete a study
- Analyze the collected data
- Communicate the results from their experiment
Wondering what a professional certificate entails? Go to our professional credits and certificate page to learn more.
Free Option for Harvard Affiliates
Participants must select one of the following program tracks:
Track 1: Applied Biostatistics: Core Curriculum
Ideal for participants who are interested in an abbreviated curriculum and shorter program commitment.
Track 2: Applied Biostatistics: Core Curriculum and Advanced Topics
Ideal for learners who are interested in a more comprehensive program, with the opportunity to select from more advanced topics at the end of the program.
For more information, please visit Program Tracks.
Track 1: September 12, 2022 – April 1, 2023
Track 2: September 12, 2022 – July 1, 2023
It is expected that program participants will dedicate up to 4 hours per week to this online program.
Each week, participants will view a multi-part video lecture and will be responsible for completing a quiz and practicum exercise related to the topic for the week. The practicum will demonstrate how to apply the technique in a standard statistical package (STATA®) and provide practice problems so that the concept is reinforced.
Those participants who view all videos and complete the lecture quizzes and practicum quizzes associated with 80% of program content will earn a certificate of completion.
Professionals interested in learning and applying commonly used approaches in medical statistics.
MPH, MD, PhD, DMD, or doctorate-level degree
August 19, 2022
- Track 1: Applied Biostatistics: Core Curriculum
- Harvard affiliates: $1750.00
- Non-Harvard affiliates: $2500.00
- Track 2: Applied Biostatistics: Core Curriculum and Advanced Topics
- Harvard affiliates: $2800.00
- Non-Harvard affiliates: $4000.00
- Cancellation and Refund Policy [PDF]
The application process will open on July 11, 2022.
The Harvard Catalyst Education Program is accredited by the Massachusetts Medical Society to provide continuing medical education for physicians.