2023 VRIP Online Application Instructions
Thank you for your interest in the 2023 Visiting Research Internship Program, sponsored by Harvard Catalyst | The Harvard Clinical and Translational Science Center Program for Diversity and Inclusion in the Office for Diversity Inclusion and Community Partnership at Harvard Medical School. Please take a moment to review the following instructions and information prior to completing the online application.
Email email@example.com to request an application.
- First-and-second year medical students, with a focus on those who are from groups underrepresented in medicine and/or disadvantaged individuals
- In good standing from accredited U.S. medical schools
- U.S. Citizens or U.S. Noncitizen Nationals or Permanent Residents of U.S.
- All application materials due: December 16, 2022
- Notification of 2023 VRIP participants: February 2023
- Program dates: June 5-July 28, 2023 (eight weeks)
- Housing is provided
- The program will provide a stipend
- Transportation reimbursement of up to $400 toward the cost of traveling to and from Boston is available
To be considered for VRIP, applicants must submit a completed application form, statement of purpose, short answer questions, resume/curriculum vitae, official transcripts, and two letters of recommendation. Please use the following check list to ensure that all components of the application are completed.
- Completed application form
- Short answer questions
- Statement of purpose
- Resume/curriculum vitae (uploaded document)
- Copy of your medical insurance card (front and back) (uploaded document)
- Proof of immunizations (uploaded document)
- Transcripts of all higher education institutions attended (ex: undergraduate (including transfers), community colleges, and/or other certifications/degrees earned) submitted directly from your Registrar to our office
- Official medical school transcript submitted directly from your Registrar to our office
- Two letters of recommendation should submitted directly from a professor or person familiar with your academic/research background. Your recommenders will receive a link to submit their recommendation in our online portal after you have submitted your online application.
- The link you received is a personal link to the application. Do not share this link.
- Your responses will automatically be saved after you click >> to proceed to the next page. You may go back and edit at any time until your final submission of the application.
- Your recommenders will receive instructions on how to submit a recommendation immediately after you submit your VRIP application. We encourage you to complete the application as soon as possible to give your recommenders ample time to complete the recommendation process.
- You may not proceed to the next page until all mandatory questions are answered. We have provided a view of the complete application in the proceeding pages for your convenience.
Please answer the following questions (limit 1500 characters/~250 words).
- Please list any honors, awards or special recognition that you have received.
- Briefly describe any of your past and present research and/or extracurricular activities, especially those related to science and/or health.
- List any community or professional organizations to which you belong.
- What do you see yourself doing in two years?
- What do you see yourself doing in 10 years?
- Briefly describe what you would like to gain from your participation in the Visiting Research Internship Program.
- Describe three talents or skills that you feel have made you successful in your academic career.
- While we cannot guarantee a research opportunity in a specific area, please indicate three area(s) of research that you prefer (list in order of preference).
A statement of purpose is required of all applicants. Please be as specific as possible about your professional interests, particularly research interests, career objectives, and long-term goals. This statement should not exceed 3000 characters (~500 words).
The program requires applicants to have official transcripts submitted directly from all undergraduate and graduate/professional institutions attended.
Please ask your college or university Registrar to send official electronic transcripts to the secure, confidential, programmatic email address firstname.lastname@example.org. Official electronic transcripts are strongly recommended.
Alternatively, official hard-copy transcripts may be mailed directly by your Registrar to:
Jessica St. Louis
Office for Diversity Inclusion and Community Partnership
Harvard Medical School
164 Longwood Avenue, 2nd Floor
Boston, MA 02115
All transcripts must be received by the program by the application deadline Friday, December 16, 2022.