The Harvard Catalyst Geriatric Depression Working Group and LaUNCH
Posted December 8, 2010
[Update: The deadline for registering for the LaUNCH has been extended to January 3, 2011.]
Do you have an interest in the area of late-life depression? If so, please consider joining the Harvard Catalyst Geriatric Depression Working Group. The Working Group aims to address gaps in research in geriatric depression at Harvard Medical School and its affiliated institutions by forming collaborations; generating project ideas; preparing research grants; and mentoring junior faculty, postdoctoral fellows, and students. This effort will be spearheaded by Olivia Okereke, MD, MS, of Brigham and Women’s Hospital; and Frances M. Yang, PhD, of Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Hebrew SeniorLife.
The Working Group will focus on four different research tracks:
- Biomarkers and emerging translational tools
- Measurement, including refinements for diverse populations
- Comorbid illnesses and management
- Prevention and intervention strategies
The Working Group will meet monthly to discuss and present on the research progress of each track. Researchers working on each track will also meet together annually to present their progress to the entire group.
The Harvard Catalyst Working Group will debut with the LaUNCH, a full-day workshop held on February 17, 2011 at the Francis A. Countway Library of Medicine. This meeting will establish the Working Group’s goals within the four focus tracks. The LaUNCH will include presentations by numerous distinguished Harvard Medical School investigators and guest speakers:
- Margarita Alegría, PhD
Professor of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School
Director, Center for Multicultural Mental Health Research, Cambridge Health Alliance
- Maurizio Fava, MD
Slater Family Professor of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School
Vice Chair, Department of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital
Director, MGH Depression Clinical and Research Program
- Joseph J. Gallo, MD, MPH
Professor of Family Medicine and Community Health; Senior Scholar, Center for Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
- Richard N. Jones, ScD
Assistant Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School
Department of Internal Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
Division of Gerontology, and Director of Mental Health and Aging, Institute for Aging Research, Hebrew SeniorLife
- Charles F. Reynolds III, MD
UPMC Professor of Geriatric Psychiatry; Professor of psychiatry, neurology and neuroscience; Senior Associate Dean, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
Director, Aging Institute of UPMC Senior Services and the University of Pittsburgh
Director, Advanced Center for Interventions and Services Research in Late-Life Mood Disorders and the John A. Hartford Center of Excellence in Geriatric Psychiatry
- David A. Silbersweig, MD
Stanley Cobb Professor of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School
Chair, Department of Psychiatry and Institute for the Neurosciences, Brigham and Women’s/Faulkner Hospitals
In addition to launching the Working Group, the LaUNCH will serve as a launching point for producing a series of articles for prominent journals and conferences in the field.
If you are interested in being part of this Working Group, please submit the following information to Amy Webber (E-mail, 617-432-7810) by January 3, 2011 (note new date):
- An updated NIH Biosketch. Please note: the new NIH Biosketch format includes a space (Section A) to describe your research. Please use this space to address how your current or future research will fit into the Harvard Catalyst Geriatric Depression Working Group. We will use your NIH Biosketch to select 38 participants who will be invited to be part of the Working Group and to attend the LaUNCH. You will be notified of your attendance status by mid-January, 2011.
In the text of your email please include:
- Your name, academic rank, contact information, institution, and home department.
- Which one of the four research tracks you are most interested in.